Did you know that many Royal LePage agents donate a portion of their commission on buying or selling a home directly to the Shelter Foundation? One hundred per cent of funds raised through the Foundation are funneled into supporting local women’s shelters and providing essential support services such as job training, emergency transport, therapy, and the construction of new shelters.
What is the Shelter Foundation?
The Shelter Foundation is a public charitable foundation developed by the dedicated team of brokers, agents and staff at Royal LePage. Royal LePage is wholeheartedly devoted to giving back to the communities that they live and work in and they are the only real estate company in Canada with its’ own charitable foundation. In total, the Shelter Foundation assists over 30,000 women and children residing in shelters that the foundation funds. This support extends to over 200 local women’s shelters and the Foundation has raised over $22 million dollars towards supporting woman and children who are fighting abuse and domestic violence. The agents, brokers, and staff at Royal LePage are continually inspired by the stories of courage, resilience, and hope shared by the women, and are determined to put an end to abuse.
Fighting Violence Against Women
- Violence against women happens in all cultures and religions, in all ethnic and racial communities, at every age, and in every income group.
- Half of all women in Canada have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence since the age of 16.
- Every year in Canada, an estimated 360,000 children witness family violence.
- On any given day in Canada, 3000 women (and their 2500 children) are living in an emergency shelter to escape family violence.
- On average, every six days in Canada a woman is murdered by her intimate partner. In 2009, 67 women were killed by a current or former partner.
- Physical and sexual abuse costs Canadians over $4 billion each year (taking into account social services, criminal justice, lost wages and productivity, and healthcare).
Royal LePage aims to provide more than a band-aid solution to the issue of violence against women and have co-founded Fourth R and sheltersafe.ca. Fourth R is a curriculum-based education program that has been delivered in 5,500 schools across North America. Shelter Safe is an online resource for women and children in need. Royal LePage and its team of Realtors® believe that though hard work, education, and community, we can transform this world into a world without violence.
Events that Transform Lives
The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation invites the general public to support this cause by attending its community events to raise support for women’s shelters and violence prevention programs. Stay tuned to our website and our Facebook page for ongoing event listings such as auctions, golf tournaments, family fun days, gala dinners, garage sales, bake sales and beyond. Want to host your own event? Contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can help.